Political Campaign Job: Communications Director
Employer: Working Families Party
Political Campaign Job Summary The Working Families Party and Working Families Organization are looking for dedicated progressives who share our passion for justice.
The Political Campaign Communications Director is in charge of all of the campaign’s interactions with the media as well as managing social media platforms. They build relationships with the press, communicate with the media as the key spokesperson, set up interviews and identify media opportunities for the campaign. They may help write and develop campaign literature, draft speeches for the candidate and create copy for the campaign web site and social media platforms. The communications director should have prior experience and contacts with the media, be a good writer and communicator, and be a proactive thinker and strategist.
Political Campaign Job Responsibilities
Working Families uses a disciplined, tested approach to run campaigns, drawing on research from the Analyst Institute and practices developed by Emily’s List and Wellstone Action. Our political campaign job positions give progressive candidates the edge they need to cross the finish line.
Political Campaign Communications Director responsibilities include overseeing the following:
- Managing all interactions with the media
- Managing social media platforms
- Building relationships with the press
- Communicating with the media as the key spokesperson
- Setting up interviews and identify media opportunities for the campaign
- Writing and developing campaign literature
- Drafting speeches for the candidate
- Creating copy for the campaign web site and social media platforms
- Managing advertising, social media, and other vendors
- Previous political campaign job experience a plus, but not required
Political Campaign Job Qualifications Good Candidates for Political Campaign Organizer Jobs has the following qualities:
- Share a passion for racial, economic and social justice and have a genuine commitment to understanding how elections are won
- Prior experience and contacts with the media as well as in managing social media
- Excellent verbal and communication skills
- Be a proactive thinker and strategist
- Political campaign job experience a plus, but not required
Political Campaign Job Pay and Benefits
- Some positions are independent contractor positions, and some are salaried positions. We offer healthcare and paid time off for employees, and portable benefits for independent contractors.
- Compensation varies from campaign to campaign, but entry level positions generally pay around $35k-$45k, while senior campaign positions are generally between $50k-$65k as calculated as an annual salary. Most positions are temporary, but can often lead to permanent positions with the WFP or one of our affiliates or elected office holders.
About Working Families Party
Working Families is a growing progressive political organization that fights for an economy that works for all of us, and a democracy in which every voice matters. We believe that our children’s life chances must not be determined at birth, and that America must be a nation that allows all its people to thrive.
Working Families is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to the anti-oppression and inclusion principles. Women, people of color and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.