Location: Brooklyn, NY
Activist Job Summary
You will be doing grassroots fundraising in the streets to support some of our biggest campaigns: to end overdose in across New York; You will also lead small canvass teams out into the field, close Riker’s Island and end cash bail, win an anti-homelessness plan to re-house the over 63,000 New Yorkers living in shelters.
Our canvass team will be responsible for educating the public and raising money for our organization (a non-profit), as well as, getting supporters engaged and excited for a positive future for communities across New York. All activist job applicants should be comfortable raising money and working outside for 6 hours a day. We are hiring for part-time positions.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE JOB:
● Train New Staff
○ You will train staff out in the field by demonstrating canvassing skills for the new staff person
○ In the office, you will help run workshops to focus on specific skill to develop the new staff’s confidence in the work and the campaign
● Manage 2-6 Staff members - including setting and creating accountability of goals, improving canvassing skills and providing motivation for the team to do well
○ Set goals according to individual performance of staff
○ Lead canvassers to various neighborhoods working with them to hit team goals
○ Meet with the team at the end of the day for results and report back to directors
● Keep track of logistics for canvassing
● Exemplify high standards by being one of the highest averaging canvassers in the office
● Be responsible for tracking funds raised on a daily basis
● Develop and implement a strategy to hit all office goals As a part of the leadership team, FMs put in a significant commitment to the campaign. FM hours can be extended up to an hour daily. FMs are expected to attend a weekly leadership meeting with the Canvass Director.
● Motivated by office goals, willingness to work hard and make things happen
● Good communication skills
● Committed to leading by example
● Extremely professional and responsible
● 2 years canvassing experience or Marking experience
Pay and Benefits
Pay of 18$ per hour + Bonuses and Benefits after 30 days
The VOCAL-NY Action Fund was created in order to provide a grassroots and independent voice for some of the most marginalized communities in New York through educational and electoral activity, including legislative advocacy, voter education, and community organizing to promote VOCAL-NY’s mission. Come work for us, making a difference in your community!